In response to the passage of Maine legislation LD 129, Maine Department of Health & Human Services has issued a bulletin on 9/27/21 2:05PM notifying community public water systems and non-transient, non-community (NTNC) schools and childcare facilities of the upcoming requirement to sample and test their finished drinking water for Per- and Polyfluoroalkyl substances (PFAS). This sampling and analysis must be completed by December 31, 2022.
For a copy of this bulletin is here.
Maine CDC Drinking Water Program (DWP) is working on guidance documents that will be sent out to assist the public water systems with the details of this requirement including:
- Requirement to test for PFAS by December 31, 2022
- Test methods and approved laboratories - Alpha Analytical is a Maine-certified and approved PFAS lab
- Guidance on PFAS detections above the Maine interim standard of 20 parts per trillion (ppt) for the Maine-6 PFAS (PFOS, PFOA, PFNA, PFHxS, PFHpA, PFDA, either alone or in combination)
- Ongoing sampling for systems with detections
- Treatment and other remedies
Please contact your Alpha Analytical Project Manager or Account Representative for more information.